Re: Screen blanking as an extension conflict?

Subject: Re: Screen blanking as an extension conflict?
From: Geoff Hutchison (ghutchis@wso.williams.edu)
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 22:43:28 MDT

>It boots *all* the way to Finder before the monitor is put to sleep?
>If not, the following might apply:

No, I've been much more careful in debugging this now. You're
correct, the monitor turns off exactly when the MacOS would change
screen resolution.

>Unfortunately, the video hardware normally accepts modes
>the monitor does not support. That is, if there are unsupported
>modes in the /etc/fb.modes file, MOL might end up using them
>without knowing the monitor can't display them and are sleeping
>instead.

Yes, I thought of that originally. But I didn't think that was the
problem because the mode that MOL was claiming to use was the same
listed in the Monitors cdev: 1024x768x75Hz. This is also the same
resolution of XFree86 and my console AFAIK.

I tried picking slightly different refresh rates from the fb.modes
file and it simply wouldn't start the console.

The only other piece of info I can pass along is that MOL will run in
a 640x480 window under X and switches from a larger to a smaller
window when not running under console. Is it somehow ignoring my
molrc and trying to switch to the low resolution on the console?
Shouldn't it make some sort of output when it does this?

Thanks a lot!

--
-Geoff Hutchison
Williams Students Online