ANSWER: when upgrading fails miserably

Subject: ANSWER: when upgrading fails miserably
From: Michael 'Mickey' Sattler (michael@GeekTimes.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 11:33:04 MDT

A few days ago I sent a request to the readership for help with a
recently-upgraded MOL crashing upon startup. No replies, so I guess
nobody painted themselves into the same corner.

After doing a few passes, diddling with extensions, and using Norton
to rebuild the corrupted MacOS disk, I figured out how to succeed.
You may be in this spot someday, so I pass on this information.

I had to remove all previous versions of MOL before sucessfully
installing the latest and greatest. I did the upgrade, made note of
conflict messages from rpm, and then, for each conflict I did a

        rpm --erase mol-<version>

then the rpm install of mol-<latest> worked. Since I'd copied molrc
to molrc.works I was able to cut and paste the mount portion back
quickly.

This is the first time that a version of MOL didn't gracefully
upgrade, and I wasn't watching out for it. Now I have to figure out
exactly how to juggle the RAM between MOL and LinuxPPC.

Michael

--
Michael "Mickey" Sattler, Geek Times   <mailto:michael@GeekTimes.com>
San Francisco, California, USA    <http://www.GeekTimes.com/michael/>

The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems. - Mohandas K. Gandhi