Re: Appletalk

Subject: Re: Appletalk
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (bh40@calva.net)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 07:13:45 MDT

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000, Zachery Bir <zbir@techead.com> wrote:

>Was there anything in particular you had to do to get Appletalk
>functionality in MOL? All I can see is one weird Mac that doesn't seem
>to share any of the network characteristics of any other Mac in our
>building. I've looked into whether I need to set up an ethertap, whether
>I need to be messing with netatalk... Oh well, I have another Mac at my
>desk, but that won't last forever. For what it's worth, I'm using stock
>MOL ethernet configuration, so I get TCP/IP in MOL (I can't get back to
>my linux side, though, is that odd?) so MOL has a separate IP address,
>and I'm not successfully running netatalk. I believe it has to do with
>the boot order of the machines in the building and Appletalk seed
>routing, but I'm not sure about that.
>
>Anyone have stories of going from a situation like mine and dsmol's to
>one like Eduard's?

Which mac do you have ? Mac with the gmac chipset could no to multicast
until now, this prevented AppleTalk from working in MOL (and in Linux
too). I've made a new driver, but didn't release it yet (I will post new
precompiled kernels soon with the new driver). In the meantime, if you
printer is able of using TCP/IP, you can setup your MOL for IP and use
the Apple Desktop Printer Utility to access your printer via TCP (LPR)

For file servers, if they can do AppleShare IP, then you can use the
"Server IP address" button of the chooser to connect via IP.

Ben.