Re: VNC & MoL: please help!

Subject: Re: VNC & MoL: please help!
From: Claus Atzenbeck (claus.atzenbeck@nikocity.de)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 01:19:43 MST

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Patrick Berge wrote:

> Should work fine just stay way from using a lower color depth on the
> Intel Linux box. I run 16 bit for all and it works really fast. Sorry
> but I think anything more then 16 bit color is waste of valuable
> bandwidth! can you really see a difference? I can't.

In case of same color depth I would need to use 8 bit on both
machines, because my Mac does not have more colors in 1024x768.

> > 1) Start MoL and start VNC server within MoL (console).
> Works fine for me... I use it about every day. I have MacOS8.6... some
> versions of the Mac OS have problems running VNC
> Please check the vnc mail archives or ask a question on the mailing list
> at http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/intouch.html

What VNCserver do you use? There are 2 of them for Mac...

> > 2) Start VNCserver on LinuxPPC and start MoL via remote VNCviewer.
> Yea I have these problems with the remote X feature of MOL. I asked it
> on this mailing list awhile back. No one seems to care? The VNC
> solution works great and is MUCH faster then the remote X.

I got this one: I start the VNCserver on my LinuxPPC with
    vncserver -geometry 1152x864 -cc 3
and the VNCviewer on my Intel Linux box with
    vncviewer -bgr233

Anyway, I rather would use xserver, because I would be easier to have
only one window (and not MoL window running in a VNC window) and I
would have 32 bit color and not only 8 bit.

About the use_backing_store stuff: I will ask in a seperate mail...

Regards,
Claus.

--
Atzenbeck. Data structures & design
http://www.atzenbeck.de

Who does not love wine, women, and song, Remains a fool his whole life long. -- Johann Heinrich Voss