Re: VNC & MoL: please help!

Subject: Re: VNC & MoL: please help!
From: Patrick Berge (pberge@stny.rr.com)
Date: Fri Mar 24 2000 - 18:22:52 MST

Claus Atzenbeck wrote:

> I want to use MoL on a remote (Intel) Linux box. X server does not
> work, becuase it is too slow. So, I need to use VNC

> Intel Linux box: 32 bit

> LinuxPPC: 8 bit

Should work fine just stay way from using a lower color depth on the
Intel Linux box. I run 16 bit for all and it works really fast. Sorry
but I think anything more then 16 bit color is waste of valuable
bandwidth! can you really see a difference? I can't.

at http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/intouch.html

> 2) Start VNCserver on LinuxPPC and start MoL via remote VNCviewer.
> This doesn't work also, because there are problem with the
> different color depths: Starting VNCserver with 8 bit and
> VNCviewer with 32 bit, VNC does work, but not MoL:
> I get an xvideo error.
>
> Starting VNCserver with 32 bit, MoL does start, but the colors
> are completly wrong, because I only have 8 bit on my LinuxPPC
> machine.

Yea I have these problems with the remote X feature of MOL. I asked it
on this mailing list awhile back. No one seems to care? The VNC
solution works great and is MUCH faster then the remote X.

Pat