Re: VNC & MoL: please help!

Subject: Re: VNC & MoL: please help!
From: Patrick Berge (pberge@stny.rr.com)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 10:52:41 MST

Claus Atzenbeck wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Patrick Berge wrote:
>
> > Should work fine just stay way from using a lower color depth on the
> > Intel Linux box. I run 16 bit for all and it works really fast. Sorry
> > but I think anything more then 16 bit color is waste of valuable
> > bandwidth! can you really see a difference? I can't.
>
> In case of same color depth I would need to use 8 bit on both
> machines, because my Mac does not have more colors in 1024x768.

Argh... I would get a cheap PCI card. You can certainly run with these
different color depth. It will just be VERY slow.

> > > 1) Start MoL and start VNC server within MoL (console).
> > Works fine for me... I use it about every day. I have MacOS8.6... some
> > versions of the Mac OS have problems running VNC
> > Please check the vnc mail archives or ask a question on the mailing list
> > at http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/intouch.html
>
> What VNCserver do you use? There are 2 of them for Mac...

Pick the PPC one the VNC coders wrote ... the m68K one would not run native
PowerPC code.
..oh at http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/download.html

> > > 2) Start VNCserver on LinuxPPC and start MoL via remote VNCviewer.
> > Yea I have these problems with the remote X feature of MOL. I asked it
> > on this mailing list awhile back. No one seems to care? The VNC
> > solution works great and is MUCH faster then the remote X.
>
> I got this one: I start the VNCserver on my LinuxPPC with
> vncserver -geometry 1152x864 -cc 3
> and the VNCviewer on my Intel Linux box with
> vncviewer -bgr233

Try MacVNC server inside of Mol on your LinuxPPC box.. (not the LinuxPPC VNC
erver) then connect with VNCviewer (Linux,Windows or OS/2) on the Intel box.

> Anyway, I rather would use xserver, because I would be easier to have
> only one window (and not MoL window running in a VNC window) and I
> would have 32 bit color and not only 8 bit.

You would have only one window with MacOS on your Intel Box if you use
the VNC Server for MacOS from inside MOL. You last sentence makes no sense?
 How could you get 32bit color if your LinuxPPC machine only supports 8-bit?
Mac VNC Server will limit you to 8-bit color? The Client can be 32-bit but
the VNC session will only be 8-bit.

Pat