Re: VNC & MoL: please help!

Subject: Re: VNC & MoL: please help!
From: Claus Atzenbeck (claus.atzenbeck@nikocity.de)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 11:40:35 MST

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Patrick Berge wrote:

> Argh... I would get a cheap PCI card. You can certainly run with these
> different color depth. It will just be VERY slow.

I'm not sure how much a graphic card will be. I need more RAM as well
(I only have 48 MB on my LinuxPPC, far to less to work with MoL
seriously); I don't want to put a lot of money into my
"old" machine... (But OK, it should work good :-)

> > What VNCserver do you use? There are 2 of them for Mac...
>
> Pick the PPC one the VNC coders wrote ... the m68K one would not run native
> PowerPC code.
> ..oh at http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/download.html

I know. There is also a beta 2.3 VNCserver for Mac available, which is
developed parallel to the "official" one. Check out
http://chromatix.autistics.org/vnc/
For me it seems to be more stable.

> Try MacVNC server inside of MoL on your LinuxPPC box.. (not the LinuxPPC VNC
> erver) then connect with VNCviewer (Linux,Windows or OS/2) on the Intel box.

I would like to do so, but it doesn't work. As soon as I start
vncviewer on Linux, MoL shows error messages:

    <*> Can't allocate packet datas (126)

A lot of them, only the number varies. (What do they mean?) Anyway,
after a short period of time, MacOS crashes/freezes or vncviewer
even doesn't draw at startup the whole MacOS screen, but stops after
drawing half of it. :-(

> > Anyway, I rather would use xserver, because I would be easier to have
> > only one window (and not MoL window running in a VNC window) and I
> > would have 32 bit color and not only 8 bit.
>
> You would have only one window with MacOS on your Intel Box if you use
> the VNC Server for MacOS from inside MOL.

That is true, but because VNC on Mac it is not working for me, I have
to start VNCserver on LinuxPPC and inside VNC I have a MoL window.

> You last sentence makes no sense?
> How could you get 32bit color if your LinuxPPC machine only
> supports 8-bit? Mac VNC Server will limit you to 8-bit color?
> The Client can be 32-bit but the VNC session will only be 8-bit.

This is in case I start MoL via remote login (ssh). MoL would be
running on LinuxPPC (8 bit color), but the X server would be on my
Intel Linux box (32 bit color). Meaning: I would have 32 bit color for
MoL as well. This would be great!

Maybe someone has a hint to make VNCserver for Mac working for me...

Thanks,
Claus.

--
Atzenbeck. Data structures & design
http://www.atzenbeck.de

Suggest you just sit there and wait till life gets easier.