Re: VNC & MoL: please help!

Subject: Re: VNC & MoL: please help!
From: Patrick Berge (pberge@stny.rr.com)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 02:06:27 MST

Claus Atzenbeck wrote:

> >I'm not sure how much a graphic card will be. I need more RAM as well

> (I only have 48 MB on my LinuxPPC, far to less to work with MoL
> seriously); I don't want to put a lot of money into my
> "old" machine... (But OK, it should work good :-)

RAM and PCI cards are cheap if bought used on ebay? I got 3M ofVRAM ,
64Meg more
of RAM for about $90
... not bad now that my Pmac 7200 is now a pretty good LinuxPPC /Mol
machine.

> I know. There is also a beta 2.3 VNCserver for Mac available, which is

> developed parallel to the "official" one. Check out
> http://chromatix.autistics.org/vnc/
> For me it seems to be more stable.

Hmm I was not aware of this? I may have to try it out.

> > Try MacVNC server inside of MoL on your LinuxPPC box.. (not the
LinuxPPC VNC
> > erver) then connect with VNCviewer (Linux,Windows or OS/2) on the
Intel box.

> I would like to do so, but it doesn't work. As soon as I start
> vncviewer on Linux, MoL shows error messages:
>
> <*> Can't allocate packet datas (126)
>
> A lot of them, only the number varies. (What do they mean?) Anyway,
> after a short period of time, MacOS crashes/freezes or vncviewer
> even doesn't draw at startup the whole MacOS screen, but stops after
> drawing half of it. :-(

What are you using as your connection? I know the 7200 PMac
built-in-ethernet
has
some serious hangs that occur causing software to reset the ethernet
chip. This
is only
a problem with a very heavy load when the PMac is transmitting. Apple
has
confirmed this
hardware performance issue (I call it a bug). I demanded that Apple
fix this ,
but they refused
saying it was only a performance problem and that VERY few users have
ever
reported
it. So I bought a $9 RealTek PCI ethernet and have blazingly fast
connection to
my
Intel Box. I use the built-in-ethernet driver in MOL for the
ethernet. I was
never
able to get tap0 to ever work? Others seem to have lots problems with
tap? I
suggest using a fixed address and use IP Masq. It works great for me.

> > You last sentence makes no sense?
> > How could you get 32bit color if your LinuxPPC machine only
> > supports 8-bit? Mac VNC Server will limit you to 8-bit color?
> > The Client can be 32-bit but the VNC session will only be 8-bit.
>
> This is in case I start MoL via remote login (ssh). MoL would be
> running on LinuxPPC (8 bit color), but the X server would be on my
> Intel Linux box (32 bit color). Meaning: I would have 32 bit color for

> MoL as well. This would be great!

Oh yea but I would not expect remote X to be working anytime soon? I
have been
waiting
for it a long time and gave up. VNC works great for me. Also even if
the remote

X worked it would be much slower then VNC...so slow I bet you would not
even
want to use it! I suspect this is why the MOL designers have not
addressed the
remote X problems they have known about for some time.

Pat