Re: MOL and TCP/IP with IP Masq, and ethertap... screwy

Subject: Re: MOL and TCP/IP with IP Masq, and ethertap... screwy
From: Sean Willard (sean@panix.com)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 20:35:38 MST

>Um... anyway to get a 2.0 OT installer? i do have my
>PowerMac G3 disk with 8.6 on it but that won't boot
>anymore.... very odd. get a illegal address error or
>something on startup... "try disabling extensions with
>shift" ... which doesn't work. and copying OT over
>seems to be a little to messy to get it right...
> -Jeremy

One approach, the one I took, was to move every Open Transport-related
extension out of the Extensions Folder and move every OS 8.6 OT extension
in. Oh, and also the TCP/IP control panel (may not be necessary, but it
works). You should have the necessary files for this, if your disk is
anything like the 8.5 disk my Wallstreet PowerBook came with. It may be
"messy", but it works, at least for me.

In detail: here are the OS 9 files I moved out of the System Folder:
Apple Enet
AppleShare
File Sharing Extension
File Sharing Library
Open Transport
Open Transport ASLM Modules
OpenTpt Modem
OpenTpt Remote Access
OpenTpt Serial Arbitrator
TCP/IP
Time Synchronizer
URL Access

Here's what I put in the System Folder, from an 8.6 system:
Apple Enet
AppleShare
File Sharing Extension
File Sharing Library