Re: MOL on Umax c600

Subject: Re: MOL on Umax c600
From: Christoph Wissing (wissing@mail.desy.de)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 09:38:38 MST

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Jackson Damien wrote:

> I tried following the instructions without success. BTW, I was able
> to upgrade (successfully I believe) to mol-0.9.41, which according to
> the website (http://www.maconlinux.com) supports the 603. I guess it
> is still assumed that you need to patch the kernel however.

Yes, I think that is right.

> I've read the documentation, specifically the patch instructions, and
> have tried the dry run with the
>
> cd /doc/Kernel_Patches
> patch --dry-run -d /usr/scr/linux - p0 < mol-kernel-2.2.10.patch
                                   ^^^^^
"-p0" at first.
Second the path to go is /usr/doc/mol-0.9.41/Kernel_Patches and not /doc/
(at least for my system)
Third. If you running LinuxPPC 2000 the kernel version is
2.2.15preSomething. The is a patch for that kernel version included the
RPM.

If you are unsure about the kernel version use "dmesg | less" to read the
boot messages again.

> of the installation instructions that I was unsure on. Step 5 was to
> copy the newly compiled kernel (/usr/src/linx/vmlinux) to the MacOS
> and select it with BootX. How would I go about doing that?

You need the kernel on MacOS side. Probably easiest method is to gzip it
copy it to floppy, reboot MacOS and read it from floppy. You will need
MacGzip for it. Maybe a recent version of StuffIt-expander will also work.

> How would I make a backup of my own kernel, how would I do that? I

Just keep copy of vmlinux somewhere.

> was just planning on patching the kernel according to the
> instructions and recompiling according to the instructions included:
>
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make clean
> make xconfig
> make clen
> make dep
> make

I am not sure but the 2nd "make cle(a)n" is not necessary.

> The only thing is I don't believe (I'm not positive) but it didn't
> appear that the /usr/src/linux directory had anything useful in it
> when I looked in it.

Are there any obvious error messages?

> Thanks again.

Good luck for the next term. I also was not successful at my first attemt.

        Christoph