New MOL (0.9.43) Ethernet Report

Subject: New MOL (0.9.43) Ethernet Report
From: Robert Frezza (bfrezza@stanford.edu)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 19:50:09 MDT

Just thought I'd send in my experiences with the new MOL. FYI, I'm using an
upgraded 7500 with a real IP address for mol, running OS 9.0.4 with the
OS 8.6 OT Extensions.

Upgrading to 0.9.43 worked just fine. At first I believed it had solved the
<*> Can't Allocate Packet Datas(x) TCP/IP Errors, although after about a minute
of surfing I found that they still occured. Although my machine no longer
freezes while these errors occur, my maximum throughput begins at 9K/s and
declines to 0K/sec after a few megs of data is transferred, as it had before
the upgrade. (On linux, I can sustain 600K/sec).

In short, it behaves a bit nicer, but mol is still unsuitable for using the
Internet on my machine. As I think we've concluded this issue plagues anyone
using a dedicated address for mol, this is a major problem. :(

Also of note, I tried applying Apple's new 3.8 ROM (Released with the Ethernet
Update 1.0 earlier today) Stripping this ROM and attempting to boot with it
fails, and using this ROM on the Mac side within mol results in a hard crash
(i.e. also takes down linux) as soon as I attempt to use TCP/IP.

Glad to know new releases are still coming out, though! We're two steps away
from a release where I can watch my stanford-online lectures without rebooting
into the MacOS. :) Sound and working tcp/ip will be incredible.

-Bob