Re: New MOL (0.9.43) Ethernet Report

Subject: Re: New MOL (0.9.43) Ethernet Report
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@waltari.theophys.kth.se)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 02:48:39 MDT

>Just thought I'd send in my experiences with the new MOL. FYI, I'm using an
>upgraded 7500 with a real IP address for mol, running OS 9.0.4 with the
>OS 8.6 OT Extensions.
>
>Upgrading to 0.9.43 worked just fine. At first I believed it had solved the
><*> Can't Allocate Packet Datas(x) TCP/IP Errors, although after about a minute
>of surfing I found that they still occured. Although my machine no longer
>freezes while these errors occur, my maximum throughput begins at 9K/s and
>declines to 0K/sec after a few megs of data is transferred, as it had before
>the upgrade. (On linux, I can sustain 600K/sec).
>
>In short, it behaves a bit nicer, but mol is still unsuitable for using the
>Internet on my machine. As I think we've concluded this issue plagues anyone
>using a dedicated address for mol, this is a major problem. :(

Umm. Possibly the best solution (for IP) is implementing a serial driver
and use PPP between MacOS and linux (this should have none of the
packet overflowing problems).

>Also of note, I tried applying Apple's new 3.8 ROM (Released with the Ethernet
>Update 1.0 earlier today) Stripping this ROM and attempting to boot with it
>fails, and using this ROM on the Mac side within mol results in a hard crash
>(i.e. also takes down linux) as soon as I attempt to use TCP/IP.

Hard crash as in not possible to log in from a remote machine? If MOL
crashes the console switching system might get stuck untill the
MOL process is killed.

Anyway, support for the 3.7 ROM (and probably 3.8 ROM) was added
in the 0.9.44 version, not 0.9.34.

Cheers,

/Samuel