Re: Back from the Brink (was: MOL ate my partition!)

Subject: Re: Back from the Brink (was: MOL ate my partition!)
From: Wilhelm Fitzpatrick (rafial@well.com)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 12:29:01 MST

> >Can MOL run at 16bpp in console mode? Or is this a limitation?
>
> do you remember the old 'vmode' app from linuxppc's pmac-utils?
> it works only in console
> $ vmode 10 8
> $ vmode 10 16

Yes I do... I don't think I currently have it installed though. Is it
available somewhere?

> or do you pass a special param. to BootX like 'video:chipsfb,cmode x,
> vmode x ?'
> [forgot the correct syntax]

For X, I am using Xpmac for its hassle free nature, and I pass the display
depth to it as a command line option. I recall I tried to use the boot
parameters to chipsfb, but I could never get it to work...

> I think MOL runs the depth it finds in the console it was told in molrc,
> and which fits any mode in /etc/fb.modes..

That's what I was hoping (I had my molrc set to 800/600/16) but I just got
a white screen after the console switch, and in fact I could not switch
back to the X or text console (I had to reboot the machine).

Does MOL even *look* at fb.modes, or does it rely on its own modes
file? I got the impression that mode information had to be copied from
the various source mode files such as fb.modes or ibook.modes to the mol
modes file by using the configuration tool, because mol didn't know how to
read the info directly.

-raf