Back from the Brink (was: MOL ate my partition!)

Subject: Back from the Brink (was: MOL ate my partition!)
From: Wilhelm Fitzpatrick (rafial@well.com)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 11:26:57 MST

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Claus wrote:

> >I first tried to get MOL running in console mode, but the computer would
> >always freeze with a white screen after switching consoles, so i decided
> >to try for X mode.
>
> version 48/49 works quite well in console mode on a PB3400,
> 8bpp to be faster.

I'd like to run at 16bpp if I could, as that is normally they way I run
both MacOS & X. I noticed when I ran the program to create the modes
file however, that it only tested 8 bpp modes, reporting BAD for higher
depths. I even used fbset to output my current 16-bit mode, and added
that to my fbmodes file, and tested against that, and it said BAD for 16
bits when I ran the configuration program.

Can MOL run at 16bpp in console mode? Or is this a limitation?

> >effectively dead until I can find my MacOS install CD at home ;(
>
> could you get a hfs floppy with debian's boot-floppies or their vmlinux?
> 'boot fd:vmlinux root=/dev/hdaX' [ perhaps init=/bin/sh]
> it's a vmlinux.coff file if you want to build it for yourself as a
> rescue floppy.
> I got a working quik-1.3.1.deb if you want, but you have to recompile
> your kernel with "CONFIG_BOOTX_TEXT is not set", as you may know.

Good suggestion on the boot floppy, except my floppy drive was at home as
well ;)

I was able to boot off my MacOS 8.5 CD when I got home, but I couldn't get
to the desktop because it kept complaining about about an unmountable 15
MB partition (weird). However, I was able to hook up a ZIP drive via SCSI
and boot off that. Disk First Aid (8.5) detected the damaged partition,
but failed to repair it. Techtools Pro 2.5.4 found & recovered
(hallelujah!) my 1 GB HFS+ partition, and the files all seem fine, except
the System file is corrupted. After I actually back my data up (as I
should I have done to begin with) I'll try reinstalling, first 8.5, and
then the 8.6 update. I'll also make sure I do the "for any macintosh"
install, since I suspect that may have had something to do with my
original problem (the "this startup disk can't be used with this Mac"
message when booting MOL).

-raf