Re: Must be root to patch the kernel

Subject: Re: Must be root to patch the kernel
From: Martin Costabel (costabel@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 17:14:21 MDT

anne et bertrand wrote:

> Hello, I'm sending this mail to know if there's any solution to the
> following problems. I'm running LinuxPPC2K on a Motorola's Starmax 3000
> (603e processor) with MOL 0.9.50.and MacOS 8.6 This runs magically well
> !

What the other well-meaning answers you got didn't see is that you have
a 603 processor, so you are patching the kernel sources and don't need
runtime patching.

> Fisrt question : Do I need to repatch the kernel source and recompile it
> for any new version of MOL ? There is actually no problem with my
> kernel, which compiled for 0.9.48.

In general, upgrading MOL is not a big problem and several MOL versions
can work with the same patched kernel. What is sometimes more difficult
is upgrading your kernel, because you have to patch it and you might not
find a patch file that applies without manual work. The latest 2.4.0
kernels contain already the MOL patches, but unfortunately MOL does not
yet run with these on the 603.

> Second problem : after booting my computer, I can't launch MOL without
> being root, because it has to patch the kernel. It's only possible to
> run MOL without being root later, after a fisrt-run of MOL as root. Is
> there any solution avoiding this condition ? Is this a security choice ?

This is not because it has to patch the kernel. It doesn't in your case.
It is because it has to load the mol and sheep_net modules. You can put
the 2 lines

insmod /usr/lib/mol/modules/mol.o
insmod /usr/lib/mol/modules/sheep_net.o

into your /etc/rc.d/rc.local init script, so they get executed at boot
time.
(Or only the first line if you don't have ethernet.)
If the mol module is loaded, startmol doesn't try to patch the kernel
any more, and it doesn't check if you are root.

--
Martin