masquerading, aliases, and netdev with a dhcp ethernet connection

Subject: masquerading, aliases, and netdev with a dhcp ethernet connection
From: R Shapiro (rshapiro@bbn.com)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 11:50:35 MDT

My Mac at home uses a dhcp ethernet connection (cable modem) to get
its address in linux. I'd like to enable networking in mol as well,
over the same cable-modem network. Since I only get one address from
the dhcp server and I'm using that address in linux, I'll have to
invent an address for MacOS. This suggests that I need to configure
masquerading in linux and assign MacOS a fixed address from one of the
usual local address ranges. That seems simple enough. What I'm not
clear on is what net device I should specify in molrc.

On my work machine, where I have one ethernet connection and two valid
fixed addresses available, I've been running mol with netdev eth0,
using one fixed address for MacOS and the other for linux. This seems
to work fine. But I don't see how it could work if linux had to do
address translation, as will be necessary at home. That suggests that
I can't use eth0 as the mol netdev on the home machine. An ethertap
device doesn't seem right either, given that I have a physical
ethernet connection.

That would seem to leave an eth0 alias as the proper solution. That
is, I configure eth0:0 in linux to use whatever local network address
I pick for MacOS and I specify eth0:0 in molrc as the netdev. But a
search for "alias" of this list's archives came up empty, which gives
me the uncomfortable feeling that this whole approach might be a
wrong-headed.

What's the right solution?

--
rshapiro@bbn.com