Re: masquerading, aliases, and netdev with a dhcp ethernet connection

Subject: Re: masquerading, aliases, and netdev with a dhcp ethernet connection
From: Stephen Judd (stephen@cyberelves.co.nz)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 13:08:30 MDT

> Subject: masquerading, aliases, and netdev with a dhcp ethernet connection
> Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:50:35 -0400
> From: R Shapiro <rshapiro@bbn.com>
> To: mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
>
> My Mac at home uses a dhcp ethernet connection (cable modem) to get
> its address in linux. I'd like to enable networking in mol as well,
> over the same cable-modem network. Since I only get one address from
> the dhcp server and I'm using that address in linux, I'll have to
> invent an address for MacOS. This suggests that I need to configure
> masquerading in linux and assign MacOS a fixed address from one of the
> usual local address ranges. That seems simple enough. What I'm not
> clear on is what net device I should specify in molrc.

I've successfully used a different approach that may work for you if,
like me, your provider has given you a Nokia M10 (these act as a
primitive bridge, and do NAT and DHCP themselves). In fact, it may work
anyway.

I simply edited /etc/dhcpc/config to add a -I option, like so:

OPTIONS='-I linux-E1:46:D6 -h painful.long.hostname.internal.foo.com'

thus giving linux a different MAC address to MacOS. Both OSs were then
able to DHCP.

Stephen