Re: masquerading, aliases, and netdev with a dhcp ethernet connection

Subject: Re: masquerading, aliases, and netdev with a dhcp ethernet connection
From: Philippe Lelédy (pleledy001@cybercable.fr)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 13:46:50 MDT

Le Tue, 17 Oct 2000, vous avez écrit :
> > Subject: masquerading, aliases, and netdev with a dhcp ethernet connection
> > Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:50:35 -0400
> > From: R Shapiro <rshapiro@bbn.com>
> > To: mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
> >
> > My Mac at home uses a dhcp ethernet connection (cable modem) to get
> > its address in linux.

So is my home Mac.

DHCPCD asks for an IP-address for LinuxPPC.
I have set up ethertap and IP Masquerading for doing Mol IP-Networking.:

netdev: tap0 -sheep

in molrc.
The drawback is MacOS/MOL can't do original AppleTalk but only IP-Appletalk.

> I've successfully used a different approach that may work for you if,
> like me, your provider has given you a Nokia M10 (these act as a
> primitive bridge, and do NAT and DHCP themselves). In fact, it may work
> anyway.
>
> I simply edited /etc/dhcpc/config to add a -I option, like so:
>
> OPTIONS='-I linux-E1:46:D6 -h painful.long.hostname.internal.foo.com'
>
> thus giving linux a different MAC address to MacOS. Both OSs were then
> able to DHCP.

I use ISC DHCPCD and I have no /et/dhcpc/config file for OPTIONS,
 but I see in the man page that they can be given
in the command line, so I'll try. Thank you for the trick.

Salutations.