Re: MOL on Powerbook 3400c/200 (ie. 603ev)

Subject: Re: MOL on Powerbook 3400c/200 (ie. 603ev)
From: Anne et Bertrand (anneetbertrand@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 18:32:05 MDT

Bob Kehoe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have attempted to install MOL on my Linux installation but am
> having some difficulties. I have a Powerbook 3400c/200 (603ev) with MacOS
> 8.0 on it. My Linux is LinuxPPC 2000 which has a 2.2.15pre3 kernel. I
> have used the rom-grabber to obtain an image of the the old-world ROM
> from the mother-board. I installed the mol-0.9.38 version which comes
> with LinuxPPC 2000 and configured molrc but could not get the kernel to
> patch at run-time. I guessed that 0.9.38 was a bad version of MOL from
> the archive for this mailing list, so I have installed mol-0.9.50.
> Unfortunately, I get the same error when I startmol -- it says it can't
> patch the kernel. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Kehoe
>
> ps. My understanding is that I may need to recompile the linux kernel
> but my CD's don't have the linux source. Can somebody tell me where the
> 2.2.15pre3 source is? Thanks again!

I run mol on a 603e machine.
1- You MUST recompile your kernel (you can find the patch in
/usr/doc/mol-0.9-XXX/Kernel_Patches).
Or you can try to use a precompiled kernel for mol given with the
linuxPPC distribution (you can find it on the installation cdrom). Maybe
you can find it on mirrors of the linuxPPC distribution (search on
rpmfind.net or tuxfinder.com to find such a mirror).
If you don't have an adapted kernel, your 603-machine won't be able to
patch the kernel.
2- Your rom is not supported by mol and you can't use it (moreother
there was no use to get it with rom-grabber, because if it had been
supported, mol would have been able to boot directly on your build-in
rom). You must find a machine supported by mol (see /usr/lib/mol/oftrees
: you can use the rom of a 7200 machine, a 8500 machine, powerbase 180
and 200 and Starmax 4160) and copy its rom.
The other solution (and much better...) is to upgrade Macos to 8.5 or
higher (or find a supported machine). With these versions on macos, you
can boot on a new world rom file which is given with the system. And 8.6
(and higher) is much better because it leaves the processor unused when
you don't do anything in macos (before this version, macos/mol used the
most part of the processor's activity every time, doing something or
doing nothing in macos, which is a bit annoying for multitask in linux).