Re: Some good news, some bad news...

Subject: Re: Some good news, some bad news...
From: Bruce Thompson (Bruce_Thompson@palm.com)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 09:04:40 MDT

Hi,
     It was surprisingly easy. I first checked
<http://penguinppc.org/usr/xf4/> to determine whether my machine
would work with X 4.0. Then I followed the link to Jack Howarth's
RPMs.

     After downloading everything in the xf4 directory I simply
followed the instructions found in "README.FIRST", with one caveat. I
found that a couple of the RPMs would not install unless forced. I
believe these were the xfs and libs RPMs. The simple thing to do is
to just update one at a time, following dependencies, until reaching
one that won't install because of a conflict with a 3.X RPM. That's
then one to force.

     After installing everything I copied the XF86Config.pismo file to
/etc/X11/XF86Config, tweaked the Mouse section to indicate a protocol
of "IMPS/2" and device of "/dev/mouse" and that was it!

        Cheers,
        Bruce.