MOL+MacOS8.6 - stability with appletalk volumes

Subject: MOL+MacOS8.6 - stability with appletalk volumes
From: Ewster (ewen@twocats.com.au)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2000 - 19:48:49 MDT

I was ondering if anyone else has seen the following problem, or may have an idea of how to tackle it...

I run MOL on a G3 under LinuxPPC. I mount appleshare volumes from an intel linux server on the network, which uses netatalk to deliver the shares. Under some circumstances I can reliably cause MacOS to crash inside my MOL session while browsing the volumes. MOL itself doesnt crash, but MacOS does.

When I first started using MOL this problem was very infrequent. It was not until I started to use the appleshare volumes more heavily that it became an issue. In general, large numbers of files/icons in a folder will cause a crash. This problem was evident in 0.9.42, and is identical in 0.9.52-1. In every case the crash occurs while a folder is being opened, leaving a zoom box frozen on screen...

        http://www.twocats.com.au/linux/mol-crash.jpg

--
Ewen Bell
Twocats.com.au