Re: IMac problem in boot

Subject: Re: IMac problem in boot
From: anne et bertrand (anneetbertrand@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 14:36:53 MST

Radamés Pereira wrote:

> I have purchased a CD ROM from LinuxPPC in CheapBytes, Invoice 135242,
> Customer RPE076.
> Greetings
> I have a problem with the installation of linuxppc. In the load of
> the operational system the system is not loaded of the disk for the memory
> (Startup fails/can't boot into Linux)
> and the following error messages:
> request_module [block_major_8]: root fs not mounted
> VFS: cannot open root device 08:01
> Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 08:01
> Please help , what it must be made.
> Radamés.

Well, I had the same kinf of problem with a CDRom having a LinuxPPC on
it, but on a mac partition of the cdrom with a second iso9660 partition
with other software (in a newspaper). My mac could not even boot on the
CD.

But in your case, I think it may be because the installer tries to boot
linux with bootx as a system chooser. But bootx doesn't work on recent
macs, maybe on yours. You'd better try to boot with yaboot (that I don't
know) as a system chooser.
In your case, Linux doesn't seem to be able to find the live filesystem
to boot on.
What I did was to copy all the necessary files on my mac partition
(kernel, live filesystem bootx and so on...). I had to copy the rpm
files (these are the files of installation of linux software) too
because it could not find my cdrom once I was in the installer (I don't
remember why, but I think that it was because my drive had some
problems). Then I had to mount by hand the mac partition with the rpm
files. If you are in the same case, try to do "mount /dev"... with the
correct partition or device name in a terminal at the correct mounting
point (in /tmp with a name I don't remember ; try to look at the other
consoles during the early installation process ; you can switch to the
other consoles by <CTRL><CMD> with the F2, F3 or F4 function keys to see
what happens really) Very nasty... But now it works fine.

One last remark : the version of bootx (1.3...) given on my cd was buggy
and made linux run very slow (and more slower again while booting on the
livefilesystem). I think you'd better try an earlier version of bootx
(pay attention to the differences in defining kernel locations), as I
do.

Friendly.
Bertrand Dekoninck