Re: LPR from Mac to linux?

Subject: Re: LPR from Mac to linux?
From: Ewen Bell (ewen@twocats.com.au)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 16:11:25 MST

There are two ways to print from a Mac to a Linux box. Get your mac to talk like a Linux Box (lpd) or get your Linux box to talk like a Mac (appletalk).

You have tried the first method. The error message is not one I am familiar with, but I would start troubleshooting by looking at the syslogs for the Linux box at work. It should tell you whether or not the lpd request was received, and so on. It is possible that you need to do some configuration to allow it to receive requests from the Mac. (make an entry in /etc/hosts.lpd for example).

When using syslog to track down problems you need full debug logging turned on. Add a line like this one to /etc/syslog.conf and then restart syslogd. (you can use tail,less,vi to find the interesting bits after that)

        *.debug /var/log/messages

The second method is to run netatalk on the linux box, and configure papd to spool print jobs to the lpd. Papd was mentioned recently on this list. Try searching for "papd" in the archives, or simply read the documentation after installing the netatalk RPM.

        http://lists.linuxppc.org/lists/mol-general

--
Ewen Bell
Twocats.com.au