'verify' is not diagnostic (thread: lpr desktop printers)

Subject: 'verify' is not diagnostic (thread: lpr desktop printers)
From: Eduard Hoenkamp (hoenkamp@acm.org)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 13:35:31 MST

(Math Department - 10/31/00)
>I am pretty sure that you have the tcp/ip configuration right, since
>the Desktop Printer Utility can verify the printer.

But that is inconclusive. The utility's "verify" only verifies
whether the host is alive. You can fill in any queue name (try it).
The host does not even have to run lpd (try it). I assume the only
thing it does is ping the host.

So far it seems that the hard thing is to get the host to accept the
print job. And there is some advice in previous messages to check
that (such as /etc/host.lpr) This afternoon I tried spooling from
home to a Vax VMS system (earning me a medal for valor), and tadah,
it worked (two sided printing and everything). My conclusion is that
the desktop printer utility is a lesser problem than the host
configuration.
gr Eduard.