Re: 'verify' is not diagnostic (thread: lpr desktop printers)

Subject: Re: 'verify' is not diagnostic (thread: lpr desktop printers)
From: R Shapiro (reshapiro@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 14:06:39 MST

Eduard Hoenkamp writes:
> But that is inconclusive. The utility's "verify" only verifies
> whether the host is alive.

I wasn't trusting verify for anything. I know macos and linux are
communicating on the lpd port because I watched the traffic. This is
not a question anymore.

> So far it seems that the hard thing is to get the host to accept the
> print job. And there is some advice in previous messages to check
> that (such as /etc/host.lpr)

/etc/hosts.lpd, and mine has been configured from the beginning to
include the macos host ip.

I'd like to ask a different question: does *anyone* actually have
this kind of configuration going, or is the idea that it should work
purely hypothetical? The configuration is:

 - linux (2.2.17pre20-ben3) running a lpd server with a local epson
 740 usb printer

 - macos/mol (9.0.4/0.9.50) with an lpr LaserWriter desktop printer
 pointing at a queue in the linux lpd server

 - dhcp ethernet connection in linux, with a masqueraded ethertap

 - fixed connection in mol using that ethertap

Is there any evidence from anyone, anywhere, that this actually works?
Not that it "should work", or that some completely different networked
printer works, but that a local linux printer queue can be accessed
via lpd from mol on the same host using ethertap. Anyone?

--
reshapiro@mediaone.net