Re: 'verify' is not diagnostic (thread: lpr desktop printers)

Subject: Re: 'verify' is not diagnostic (thread: lpr desktop printers)
From: Ewen Bell (ewen@twocats.com.au)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 15:28:13 MST

R Shapiro wrote:

> I'd like to ask a different question: does *anyone* actually have
> this kind of configuration going, or is the idea that it should work
> purely hypothetical? The configuration is:
>
> - linux (2.2.17pre20-ben3) running a lpd server with a local epson
> 740 usb printer
>
> - macos/mol (9.0.4/0.9.50) with an lpr LaserWriter desktop printer
> pointing at a queue in the linux lpd server
>
> - dhcp ethernet connection in linux, with a masqueraded ethertap
>
> - fixed connection in mol using that ethertap
>
> Is there any evidence from anyone, anywhere, that this actually works?
> Not that it "should work", or that some completely different networked
> printer works, but that a local linux printer queue can be accessed
> via lpd from mol on the same host using ethertap. Anyone?
>
> --
> reshapiro@mediaone.net

To answer your question though, I do run an lpr printer under MOL/macos and send jobs to an lpd on a linux box elsewhere on my network. Yes it does work. I havent tried as such with ethertap though.

Are you running the lpd+epson on the SAME linux box that is running MOL? i'm not familiar with the ethertap stuff, but if the packets are being masqeraded then lpd will be expeecting that the requests are coming from the masqeraded ip address, not the original. So try setting your computer name (appletalk file sharing) to that of the linux host, not the macos box.

I'd be interested if this changes your symptoms (or maybe even gets you printing!). Can you send me some info on the filters you have for the Epson printer by the way, sounds like an ideal setup!

- e :)

--
Ewen Bell
Twocats.com.au