Re: Ethernet Help

Subject: Re: Ethernet Help
From: Philippe Lelédy (pleledy001@cybercable.fr)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 05:11:47 MDT

Red Hat Linux User wrote:

> I am trying to use my DSL connection on LinuxPPC and mol simultaneously.

It's exactly what I do successfully since months.

LinuxPPC connects to ISP via the DSL connection (it gets a temporary
address) , and acts as a router with IP Masquerading for the other
computers on my home LAN.
One of them being MOL (on the same machine). You have to establish IP
connectivity between the 2 OSes.
I use the ethertap pseudo-device for this purpose, with fixed IP addresses
on both sides.

It's work fine as fas as IP is concerned. I've lost direct and indirect
(i.e. via netatalk) pure Appletalk connectivity from MOL, but it's not so
much a concern, because of Appletalk over IP, except that using MacOS 8.6,
MOL cannot act as an IP AFS server (IP AFS client is OK).