Completely off topic (was RE: MOL vs. Classic)

Subject: Completely off topic (was RE: MOL vs. Classic)
From: Tim Senecal (tsenecal@denverpost.com)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 09:38:50 MDT

Guys,

I apologize for this offtopic rant, but I need to get it off my chest.

at 08:20 AM 9/28/2000 -0400, you wrote:
<snip>. Why does it take at least 5 minutes for Classic to boot up for me
>when MOL starts up in under a minute?

I don't know what is going on here, you aren't the first person I have
seen/read who has complained about how it takes forever to load classic,
but I have OSX installed on the following machines (got my OSX fed ex on
monday a week ago):

G3 266 beige box
G3 imac 333
G3 imac 400
G4 400
G4 500
G4 500 dual
G4 Cube
G3 ibook 300
G3 powerbook 400

the iBook has 96 mb of ram, all others have at least 128, several have
192mb and the G3 266 has 224mb.

and no, I don't own all of these, I work in the R&D for a large
metropolitan newspaper, and this is a sampling of the machines we use.

all of them boot the classic environment in under 1 minute, I have pared
down the extensions on the cube (my personal machine at home) so it boots
in under 20 seconds.

both the ibook and the G3 266 are slow at loading Classic, but even they
can do it in less than a minute.

I am not running classic just for the heck of it, I have several big
hitters like Quark Xpress, adobe Photoshop, and Illustrator that are used
daily on the G4 400, and I have the beta for CodeWarrior 6 running on the
Cube, and am hammering it with crashing apps all the time (woo hoo, I
haven't had to reboot due to a bad development cycle in over a week of
heaving carbonizing, and yes, I have a PO already for the real CW6).

I have personally found that anything we can run successfully under OS9, we
can run under classic. I wish we could use either 8.6 or 9.x for the
classic app, more of my "necessary" apps run better in 8.6 than they do in 9.

The UI issues are a different matter.

one additional note. the G4 400 has YDL linux (with MOL running 8.6), 8.6,
9.0.4, OSX server and OSX client installed on it, and I only have this to say:

the fastest to boot is 8.6 in MacOS.app on OSX server. it will load in 16
seconds. the same OS 8.6 takes 19 seconds in MOL. MOL's ethernet pales in
comparison to MacOS.app, and MacOS.app's disk access is also much faster.
OS 9 in Classic.app takes 22 seconds. this is with the standard Mac OS
extensions and control panels, no startup items, and static IPs.

finally, do not try to run MacBench in Classic.

Tim