Re: adb_key: buffer overflow

Subject: Re: adb_key: buffer overflow
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 18:01:27 MDT

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 02:24:26PM +0200, Christoph Ewering wrote:
> Hello !
>
> I have the same problem.
>
> I do not have it very often, once a day.
>
> It only happens when I switch between X and Mol (X on vt7, mol on vt8)
> Looks to me that this happens when some keys are pressed during switching.
> (Other keys then the keys needed for switching)
>
> I was not able to reproduce it, this effect was not there with 0.9.48.
>
> > This happens to me very frequently. I observe mostly when I leave MOL
> > running for a long time, and/or I switch a few times between the MOL
> > console and X windows (let's say 4 or 5 times in each direction), and/or
> > I put my PowerBook to sleep and wake up while MOL is running.
> >
> > I've learned to avoid doing all those things, but the problem still hits
> > me relatively often. I get the impression MOL gets confused when I do
> > several things at once. Is it losing interrrupts maybe?

I think this problem is fixed in 0.9.51 (to be released
soon).

The major new feature in the 0.9.51 version is support
of session save/restore. By pressing a key (F12), the RAM
and other state information is saved to disk. MOL can
then restart the session almost instantly at a
later time. On my G3 I can restart a session in
less than two seconds.

The session save/restore feature also opens up for
video hardware acceleration (by letting MacOS access
the video hardware directly). If MacOS is given
direct hardware access, then the MOL console must be
active as long as MOL is running. This could be achieved
by saving/restoring the session at console switch
(switching to mol in a X-window whould thus not be possible).

I'm also considering adding a function which restarts the
MOL session as soon as a particular VT is activated.

Cheers,

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470