Re: ixMicro video card [Off Topic] (was: Troubles getting MOL running on 9500)

Subject: Re: ixMicro video card [Off Topic] (was: Troubles getting MOL running on 9500)
tvr@value.net
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 11:37:03 MDT

> Is that an IXMicro Ultimate Rez Card?

Yeah, that came with the used 9500+G3 that i got. I'm not sure what
original equipment card is. It's probably a great card for gamers
and graphics hackers, but it doesn't appear to be very close to the
'Twin Turbo' card that we have a driver for. Among other things,
its frame buffer is +0x20 bytes from where our driver expects it
and fixing that offset isn't sufficient, as it still doesn't update
things properly in text-only mode. X Windows doesn't seem much
happier with it, either.

> If so - is it only recognized in the 2.4 kernel? or what XF86 version
> are you using?

I've tried both X 4.0 and X 3.x on it, with little success. It
only works as an OpenFirmware display. Worse yet, MacOS/OF loves
to reset it when booting doesn't go well, so i have to boot into
MacOS to reset the screen resolution. As an 'OF only' display,
it doesn't seem to matter which kernel one runs, they're all
equally bad...

> I have one in my 8600 and I can't see to get the thing to work in
> LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 2.2.18 kernel and whatever XFree is installed by
> default - I know it is not 4 at least.

It will run under X, but you have to make sure that at least the
screen depth matches whatever MacOS/OpenFirmware has last set it
to. And you're stuck with whatever screen resolution you've booted
with, you can't reset it dynamically. So be careful with your font
path (in terms of 100 bpi vs 75 bpi fonts) to make things readable
given your own monitor and eye sight.

> If you can help in any way - I would appreciate knowing how you set
> yours up and any kernel arguments you have passes at boot.

My recollection is you'll need "video=ofonly", which BootX will set
for you if you select the "no video driver" checkbox.

                               -- Tovar

P.S. If you're a Debian user, let's take the discussion to their
general LINUX PowerPC mailing list, where it will be more on-topic.