Re: Troubles getting MOL running on 9500

Subject: Re: Troubles getting MOL running on 9500
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@ibrium.se)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 14:07:59 MDT

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 07:46:54AM -0700, Tovar wrote:
> This is compiled from the mol-0.9.57 source (with minor
> 'Makefile'-type changes previous described).

I strongly recommend running the 0.9.58 version instead (just
uploaded to the web site). The 0.9.57 version contained a bug that
might severely affect stability. On most 604-machines, MOL would
not event boot.

> I seem to have three main modes of lossage:
>
> (1) 'mol' fails to start up at all. It does so by getting into a loop
> printing 'Unimplemented load instruction'.

This error usually occurs when MacOS has crashed (thus, the error
message is slightly misleading).

> (2) MOL start up succesfully, runs for at least a few minutes with user
> interactions, and then locks up. When it does, the log shows:
>
> scsi-bus: MESSAGE_REJECTED
> scsi-bus: Going busfree instead of sending a reject message!

This (completely harmless) error message is always present in
the oldworld setting. Actually, the SCSI bus MacOS sees is empty
and only present since the oldworld ROM expects one. Real block
device access is obtained through a different mechanism.

> This seem to occur often enough to prevent MOL from being a serious
> tool at this point.

> (3) MacOS tries to boot, but discovers that it has not been shut down
> cleanly. It normally goes to check its disk, displaying a dialog
> explaining what's happening and asking for a confirmation when it
> finishes. Under MOL, it comes up with a blank rectangle, without
> any significant disk activity.

What happens is that MacOS tries to play a beep (writing directly
to the hardware, without using the MOL-audio module which has not
been loaded yet). This should only happen with old versions
of MacOS (I think the sound hardware check was introduced in 8.5
or 8.6). Muting the sound for built-in sound output should prevent
this from happening.

> P.S. What does 'dcbi treated as nop' mean? [mol-0.9.57/emulation/molcpu.c:413]

The data-cache invalidate block instruction is treated as a no-operation
in MOL (which is the correct thing to do, since RAM access in MOL
always goes through the cached).

 E-mail <samuel@ibrium.se> WWW: <http://www.ibrium.se>
  Phone/fax: (home) +46 8 4418431, (work) +46 8 7908470