Re: Debian packages for Mac-on-Linux in incoming

Subject: Re: Debian packages for Mac-on-Linux in incoming
From: Samuel Rydh (samuel@waltari.theophys.kth.se)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 07:33:03 MDT

>> Now I have it and I'm very impressed. Mol seems to be really fast and stable
>> but what is bothering me is, that I have to start it as root. In an earlier
>> version I could load the kernel modules in an init scrips and was then able
> to start mol as regular user.
>
>I found that loading 'molsymglue2' then 'mol', after copying the modules
>into /lib/modules/<kernel ver>/misc, made it so that I could once again
>run MoL as non-root. I would suggest starting it once as root, then
>looking at the module load order and adding entries to /etc/modules to
>reload them in that same order.

The startmol script has a --loadonly option which does the trick
for you. Just add

        startmol --loadonly

to the rc.local file.

>(I don't understand why there are _three_
>molsymglue's, and why only one of the three seems to actually work,
>though. For that, you'd have to ask Samuel. :)

This is for compatibility with all kernels. What MOL needs
of the kernel is the exportation of a few symbols. There
are three cases:

- The latest 2.4 kernels exports all of the symbols.

- Older 2.4 kernels (those that has the CONFIG_MOL option)
exports most of the symbols together with a hook that is used
instead of a missing symbol.

- 2.2 kernels and certain 2.4 kernels exports no symbols
at all. MOL has to extract them from the System.map file.

Each one of these cases corresponds to a molsymglue module
(separate modules are needed since it nowdays is
impossible to dynamically lookup kernel symbols).

/Samuel