Re: MOL date and time warp

Subject: Re: MOL date and time warp
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 16:43:21 MST

At 1:48 PM +0100 12/6/01, Jens Schmalzing wrote:

>I feel really silly asking, but how exactly do you set up the NTP
>server on the Linux side? I thought it would be enough to remove all
>server directives from the ntp.conf file. But when I try to set the
>time with the Date&Time control panel in MacOS, all I get is `The
>network time server is unable to provide an accurate time right
>now. Please try again later.'

The NTP daemon needs at least one source of trusted clock data, or it
will refuse to tell clients what time it is. By removing the server
directives you took away all its clock sources. If you want to use
the local clock as a clock source, put this:

server 127.127.1.0 # local clock
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10

in ntp.conf. This is special syntax for telling ntpd to use the
local clock if there aren't any more trustworthy sources available
(i.e. sources with a lower stratum number than 10).

Also, it takes about five minutes or so from the time that ntpd
starts running before it will start accepting requests.

--
Tim Seufert