Re: Which kernel, which mol version to use with MacOS 9.1?

Subject: Re: Which kernel, which mol version to use with MacOS 9.1?
From: Geoff Ghose (geoff@focus.neusc.bcm.tmc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 21:04:44 MST

Charles Bouldin wrote:

> I have a powerbook g3/400/firewire. SuSe 7.0 installed, with a MacOS
> 9.1 partition to dual boot and run with mol. After some angst, I have
> mol "working"
> but there are problems. I have the 2.2.16 kernel and the 9.54 version of mol
> complains that it was compiled to use with the 2.2.18-pre24-4fpmac
> kernel. I've had mol crash with segmentation faults and I've had
> crashes that have brought down the machine, which I thought almost
> never happened with linux. I assume mol can cause bad things to
> happen because you startmol as root?
>
> I'm new at this, I've never updated or compiled a kernel. Can anyone
> tell me the best combination of kernel/mol version to use with MacOS
> 9.1 and where to get them?

I'm pretty sure the answer is none. I have seen no reports of 9.1 working (someone out
there correct me if I'm wrong). On my machine it works for about 5 or 10 minutes and then
locks up.

In my experience 9.0 and 9.04 work like a champ with LinuxPPC kernels 2.2.14 through
2.2.18. Not custom MOL kernels either, the on-line kernel patching done by startmol has
always worked for me.

I've also never had a MOL crash that took down the whole machine. That sounds pretty
suspicious. Part of the reason why I went to Linux is so that I could at least read my
e-mail the 3 times a day MacOS crashes or locks up and I have to reboot! (That's only a
slight exaggeration)

> I would leave linux running all the time if I could get APM to work.
> Is this currently possible with the g3/400/firewire? I have never
> found anyone with this machine and any ppc linux (Suse,Linuppc, YDL,
> Debian) who claims to have this working reliably. Anyone???

I've only dealt with desktops (a 7300 and a new G4) so I can't speak to powerbook
problems.