Re: Dual 500 G4

Subject: Re: Dual 500 G4
From: Brandyn Webb (brandyn@sifter.org)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 18:09:48 MST

At 4:17 PM -0700 2/16/01, Tim Senecal wrote:
>in addition, and please, someone correct me if am wrong here, the
>only company that even discusses a rev of linux that will run on the dual
>cpu machines is a non shrink wrapped beta 2.4.x kernel from Yellow Dog.

        From linuxppc.org: "The kernel supports multiple processors
(SMP), which works on some Power Macintosh models and certain IBM
RS/6000 computers." (I tried culling the FAQ for more specifics, but
it got confusing before it got informative.)

        I am also wondering when and how Suse will port 2.4.x for
a 7.1 ppc release, and whether it will include the 2.4 smp support.
(Anybody know how much kernel-side cooperation goes on between YDL,
Suse, and LinuxPPC?)

        Sigh. Sounds like my (reliable) options are to get a
single-cpu system, or switch to OS-neXt. FWIW, I tried OS-X beta
some time ago, and found linux/mol more reliable for classic apps!

        -Brandyn

---------- brandyn@sifter.org ------- http://www.sifter.org/~brandyn ----------

     "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the
      American public." - P.T. Barnum

     "Yeah--what he said." - Bill Gates.