Re: Dual 500 G4

Subject: Re: Dual 500 G4
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 01:45:08 MST

>speaking as an individual who uses mol only sporadically, and only on a
>single g4 box, but having been a mol user since rev .38, i remember someone
>(perhaps samuel) saying that mol is incapable of running on a dual cpu
>setup. in addition, and please, someone correct me if am wrong here, the
>only company that even discusses a rev of linux that will run on the dual
>cpu machines is a non shrink wrapped beta 2.4.x kernel from Yellow Dog.
>Non shrink wrapped meaning you will have to install the YDL and then put a
>different kernel on top of that install.
>

>forgive me if it sounds like i don't know what i am talking about, because
>this is all second hand knowledge, none of it is from my own experience

Support for the dual G4 have been merged in the main ppc kernel for some
time now. It's not perfect in 2.2.18 but it works just fine with the
current bitkeeper 2.4 tree.

However, MOL is currently unable to work on an SMP kernel. It will work
with an UP kernel running on an SMP machine (but you'll lose one CPU).
I've begun playing with the idea of making it work on SMP, but it's
pretty complex and I lacked time to actually finish something. It's still
in my plans, but ideally, someone should get Samuel an SMP box :)

Ben.