Re: Dual 500 G4

Subject: Re: Dual 500 G4
From: Brandyn Webb (brandyn@sifter.org)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 02:17:15 MST

At 9:45 AM +0100 2/17/01, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>I've begun playing with the idea of making it work on SMP, but it's
>pretty complex and I lacked time to actually finish something.

        Can you give a rough conceptual overview of the issues
involved? How long do you think it would take a top-notch developer
with no prior kernel (or mol source) experience to get up to speed
and make it work? [Do you know of any docs on the web that give an
overview of how SMP is implemented in Linux (or is one supposed to
just read the kernel source), so I'd have more context in which
to understand the issues? I'll search now, but if you have a
favorite, let me know.]

> It's still
>in my plans, but ideally, someone should get Samuel an SMP box :)

        How many people are interested in it? If we could get
forty people to pitch in $50 each...

        -Brandyn

---------- brandyn@sifter.org ------- http://www.sifter.org/~brandyn ----------

               Seek not that at which you will not fail.
                 Seek that at which you might succeed.