Re: Dual 500 G4

Subject: Re: Dual 500 G4
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt (benh@kernel.crashing.org)
Date: Sat Feb 17 2001 - 10:18:29 MST

> Can you give a rough conceptual overview of the issues
>involved? How long do you think it would take a top-notch developer
>with no prior kernel (or mol source) experience to get up to speed
>and make it work? [Do you know of any docs on the web that give an
>overview of how SMP is implemented in Linux (or is one supposed to
>just read the kernel source), so I'd have more context in which
>to understand the issues? I'll search now, but if you have a
>favorite, let me know.]

Well, it's very difficult to say as some of the things involved are
tighly related to the way the linux MM works, what is safe to do and
what is not, what need spinlocking and what not, and so far, I've not
found anything like the beginning of a documentation on that.

On my side, I'm reading the source, trying to understand, and see...

I'm a bit out of time now, but later this week-end, I'll try to give you
an overview of what is needed to get MOL kernel module to work properly
on SMP as we already discussed that quite a bit with Samuel.

Ben.