Re: netatalk problem and MOL questions

Subject: Re: netatalk problem and MOL questions
From: Jarek Spirydowicz (jareks@kurier.szczecin.pl)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 07:54:03 MST

on 15-01-01 4:26, Tom Greene wrote:

> When I start netatalk I get this error:
>
> [root@porky init.d]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start
> Starting AppleTalk services: socket: Invalid argument
> socket: Invalid argument
> atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.
> [FAILED]
> [root@porky init.d]#

Probably You have appletalk support as a module. Try 'insmod netatalk' (or
appletalk - check module name, i don't remember) and next 'atalk start'.
Remember - 'atalk stop' remove module. You may fix scripts or compile
appletalk support in kernel.

> I have another question about netatalk. Is it possible to set it up so
> that the Mac system does not leave resource information on the shared
> Linux file system? How? I'd like to use the shared files in both OSes and
> to keep the clutter down as seen from the Linux side.

Netatalk make possible to see Linux files from Mac side only. You need afpfs
for opposite way, but that project seems to be leaving. I was compile it,
but I have failed to run it - I think, some fixes in kernel sources are
needed.

> This next question is mostly about MOL. Once I get it going, do I have to
> use Appleshare over IP on the Mac when running MOL to see the Linux file
> system?
No. You need netatalk on Linux side :)
Good news (I think;)): AppleTalk (EtherTalk) and file sharing in MOL works
fine without TCP/IP (my box is PM 5400/180 with System 8.1).

--
Regards
Jarek