Re: MOL networking broken on recent kernels?

Subject: Re: MOL networking broken on recent kernels?
From: Scott Hankin (sdhankin@ma.ultranet.com)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 05:39:35 MST

At 11:28 AM -0700 1/16/01, Derrik Pates wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Scott Hankin wrote:
>
>> Scanning the list has lead me to confirm what I've discovered on my own;
>> that 2.4.0 doesn't work with MOL networking. I've tried to set this up
>> using methods that worked in the past, but to no avail. Has anyone else
>> succeeded where I have failed?
>
>I definitely beg to differ on that point. I'm using MoL (out of the
>BitKeeper tree) with a 2.4.0 kernel, and its networking works perfectly.
>I'm using the SheepShaver net driver (included with MoL - sheep_net.o),
>and it works fine for TCP/IP and AppleTalk communication.

Great! This, of course, only leads to more questions.

The existing docs are out of date with respect to newer kernels and newer
versions of MoL. For example, sheep_net isn't mentioned in these docs.

Could you describe
1) how you build your 2.4 kernel to use sheep_net
2) how you set up masquerading on a 2.4 kernel (iptables?)
3) anything extra you had to do
4) anything published you didn't have to do

I realize this is a lot to ask, as your answer may well be the reference
doc for setting up MoL networking on a 2.4 system, but I can imagine there
are many out there who would appreciate the effort as much as I do. Many
thanks.

--
Standard Sig
- Scott

----------------------------- Scott Hankin In the beginning, there was nothing, then Rational Software God said, "Let there be light." And there 20 Maguire Road was light. There was still nothing, but Lexington, MA 02421 you could see it a lot better.