Re: MOL networking broken on recent kernels?

Subject: Re: MOL networking broken on recent kernels?
dpates@dsdk12.net
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 12:40:09 MST

Quoting Scott Hankin <sdhankin@ma.ultranet.com>:

> Great! This, of course, only leads to more questions.
>
> The existing docs are out of date with respect to newer kernels and
> newer
> versions of MoL. For example, sheep_net isn't mentioned in these
> docs.

The sheep_net.o module is built as part of the MoL build. It'll be put into
/usr/lib/mol/modules - what I do is copy the mol.o and sheep_net.o out of there,
into /lib/modules/<kernel ver>/misc/, and then put 'mol' and 'sheep_net' into
/etc/modules to be loaded at system start time.

> Could you describe
> 1) how you build your 2.4 kernel to use sheep_net

As I said, I don't have to do anything special. The module is built as part of
the MoL build procedure.

> 2) how you set up masquerading on a 2.4 kernel (iptables?)

I'm not masqing it, I'm just having it use eth0 (the machine in question is
behind another Linux box doing NAT, so I don't worry about it). What I'd do,
though, is something more like this:

1) Setup the tunnel device (tun0?) on the Linux side for a private-net address
(like something in the 172.16.0.0/12 block, maybe). Setup NAT on it, something
like the following:

ifconfig tun0 172.16.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -j MASQUERADE -d ! 172.16.0.0/24
iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -t filter -A FORWARD -s 172.16.0.0/24 -d ! 172.16.0.0/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -t filter -P FORWARD DROP

2) Set the 'netdev:' line in /etc/molrc to something resembling the following:

netdev: tun0 -sheep

3) Make sure the sheep_net module is loaded.

4) Start up MoL, and set the following settings (or similar) for TCP/IP:

Address: 172.16.0.2
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway/router: 172.16.0.1
Broadcast: 172.16.0.255

and set your DNS server address to whatever's relevant.

Note that if you want AppleTalk from the surrounding network to be able to reach
MoL, you'll have to install netatalk, and run (at a MINIMUM) atalkd (with
appletalk protocol support installed in the kernel, of course). Your atalkd.conf
should look something like this:

# Set the ethertalk net number range to something high, that probably
# won't be used already, and make sure the zone name is something unique
tun0 -seed -phase 2 -net 9000-9010 -zone "MOLZONE"
eth0

Make sure tun0 is already configured when atalkd starts.

> 3) anything extra you had to do

Besides getting the BitKeeper tree (because of some changes in 2.4.0 that
required it), nothing.

> 4) anything published you didn't have to do
>
> I realize this is a lot to ask, as your answer may well be the
> reference
> doc for setting up MoL networking on a 2.4 system, but I can imagine
> there
> are many out there who would appreciate the effort as much as I do.

Well, I've included everything I can think of do to to make it work. If you
upgrade to 2.4.0, and still have problems, let me know and we'll take a look.

Maybe I should try configuring it this way myself, just to see if what I'm
saying here works (it should).

Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net