Re: Another AppleTalk / Ethernet question

Subject: Re: Another AppleTalk / Ethernet question
From: Derrik Pates (dpates@andromeda.dsdk12.net)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 23:43:11 MST

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Tom Greene wrote:

> I'm using a Powerbook, and this only works when I'm physically connected
> to a network. How can I get this to work when I'm not? Do I need to create
> some king of virtual enet interface or is there an easier way? (Is this
> what an Ethertap is??) Is there some other way to share the Linux disks?

Only when you're connected to an external net? Maybe use the private-net
address that the MacOS side gateways through as the address for AFP over
TCP comm.

> Also, should I be worried about security? I have 2 concerns: 1) people can
> exploit weaknesses in Appletalk over IP on the Linux serving side; and 2)
> somebody can sniff my password when I mount the Linux disks from MOL
> (clear text is used). Am I paranoid or is this justified?

(1) is a potential concern. (2), on the other hand, is not. Someone would
have to have access to your machine already, and be able to tcpdump, which
requires root anyway. So if someone could do that, they'd already have
full access to the system anyway - in which case, they probably wouldn't
bother with that.

Derrik Pates | Sysadmin, Douglas School| _ #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net | District (dsdk12.net) | | | and now OPN too!
   Student @ South Dakota School of Mines | __| |___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ ____
       & Technology (www.sdsmt.edu) |/ _ / -_) ' \ '\/ _ \ ' \ (____)
UNIX: Because you want to USE your computer.|\___,\___|_||_||_\___/_||_|