Re: Sonnet L2 cache G3 card, was Re: MOL on Umax c600

Subject: Re: Sonnet L2 cache G3 card, was Re: MOL on Umax c600
From: Jackson Damien (noveau@pmail.net)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 14:04:30 MST

At 6:00 PM +0000 1/24/01, Frank STENGEL wrote:
>Jackson Damien a dit dans « Re: MOL on Umax c600 ».
>[2001/01/23 22:23]
>
>> Hello, long time no email. I kind of fell away from working on MOL,
>[snip]
>>
>> I am running Mac OS 8.5.1 and have a Sonnet L2 Cache G3 upgrade in my
>> machine. Since my machine seems to run dog slow while in Linux
>> (since I don't believe it's taking advantage of the card) if I get
>> MOL working should it theoretically take advantage of the card?
>> Otherwise I'm just wasting my time because it's pretty much too slow
>> to be usable.
>>
>[snap]
>
>The slow speed problem is normal: without the G3 card enabled, your
>machine is running a 603 *without* L2 cache. I.e. a *really* slow
>machine, since, even a 603 takes great advantage of the L2 cache for
>speed improvement. That is the bad news. However you can have your G3
>back...
>
>The only way I have found to enable the L2 cache G3 card which I use on
>my 6400 (from what you tell it is the same as mine) for Linux is that I

        I believe this is true. I just took a look at Sonnet's site
and the Performa 6400 and Umax c600 are covered under the same L2
upgrade card.

>have to start the computer normally under MacOs having a downsized set
>of extensions, but, at least, the Crescendo extension and then (and
>only then) launching BootX. Using the BootX extension does not work,
>since it loads almost first. When BootX restarts the machine it does
>not really (as far as I can tell) do a cold start, especially, the G3
>card stays enabled. The down side is two-fold, first there is that
>rather cumbersome startup sequence and second, the G3 card being rather
>unorthodox, the machine sometimes freezes unexpectedly, even in Linux,
>thing which does not happen when the card is not enabled (no kernel
>panics, proper freezes). The up side, as you will guess is the drastic
>improvement in performance, both in Linux and in Mol which does not
>need any pre-patched kernel to run.

Would you mind telling me what versions of software you are using? I
am using the Crescendo 1.4.5 driver (the latest from Sonnet's site),
the 2.2.15pre4 kernel, and BootX 1.2.2.

When I boot my system normally (with all the extensions and such) I
get a the following error:

hda : lost interrupt

requires module[bloc-major-8]: root fs not mounted
VFS : cannot open root device 08:07
kernel panic VFS:Unable to mount
root fs on 08:07

rebooting in 180 seconds.

If I start the machine with *only* the Crescendo driver, and Launch
the BootX app, it gets as far as 'booting linux...' and then seems to
hang. I sat and waited for about 3 minutes just to be sure.

In BootX 'no video driver' is check and the arguments are
ramdisk_size=8192. Set G3 Cache is grayed out (I don't know why) and
Force SCSI on and Force Video Drivers and use boot image are
unchecked.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.