603 with Recompiled Kernel still doesn't work

Subject: 603 with Recompiled Kernel still doesn't work
From: Jackson Damien (noveau99@mailandnews.com)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 11:02:23 MST

Hello all!

I've been able to solve several of the problems that I have been
running into with my LinuxPPC system, but I've run into a really
interesting one that I was hoping somebody might be able to help me
with.

But a little background is in order:

I have a Umax c600 (a 240 Mhz 603) with a Sonnet 300 Mhz G3 L2 Cache
Upgrade card and 112 megs of ram.

After disabling VM in the Mac OS and changing the type of the Sonnect
Crescendo extension from INIT to SCRI I was able to get a visible
speedup in LinuxPPC.

I am using LinuxPPC 2000 with the 2.2.15pre3 kernel. Nothing else special.

I was able to successfully download and upgrade to the latest version of MOL:

bash$ rpm -U mol-0.9.53-2.ppc.rpm

I was then able to successfully mount my Mac OS 8.5 installation CD
and strip the ROM file from it:

bash$ mount -t hfs /dev/cdrom /mnt
bash$ strip_nwrom "/mnt/System Folder/Mac OS ROM" /usr/lib/mol/rom/rom.nw

I then tested the kernel patch (X is the mol-kernel-2.2.15pre4.patch):

bash$ cd /doc/Kernel_Patches
bash$ patch --dry-run -d /usr/src/linux -p0 < X

Since no failure were reported, I went ahead and applied the patch:

bash$ patch -d /usr/src/linux -p0 < X

Since this was the first time that I built the kernel, I followed the
included instructions:

bash$ cd /usr/src/linux
bash$ make clean
bash$ make xconfig (enable CONFIG_MOL)

// this step I skipped, after consulting with on of my instructors - we
// believe it resets the previous xconfig step, but that may be my problem
// make clean

bash$ make dep

// I had some errors with this. The default LinuxPPC 2000 installation
// apparently doesn't come with some libraries necessary for compilatoin,
// so after downloading the the 2.2.15 kernel source from
// http://www.kernel.org and copying over the /include/asm-m68k
directory // to /usr/src/linux/include/asm-m68k it compiled
without errors.

bash$ make

I then copied the new newly compiled kernel:

bash$ /usr/src/linux/vmlinux

to MacOS and selected it with BootX. I also copied the newly created
System.map to the /boot directory and restarted the machine.

I then tried to start MOL:

bash$ startmol

No dice. It complained about my machine having a 603 processor and
that I would not be able to run it without first patching the kernel.

So I then tried:

bash$ startmol /usr/src/linux/System.map

Same result. So finally I tried:

bash$ startmol /usr/src/linux/vmlinux

Still the same error message. I have even tried getting some
precompiled kernels from this page
(http://linuxcare.com.au/paulus/kernels.html) without any success.

If anyone has any ideas as to what might possibly be causing this,
I'm totally open to suggestions.

Thanks for your time.