Re: 603 with Recompiled Kernel still doesn't work

Subject: Re: 603 with Recompiled Kernel still doesn't work
From: Frank STENGEL (fstengel@wanadoo.net.ma)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 13:11:37 MST

Jackson Damien a dit dans « 603 with Recompiled Kernel still doesn't
work ».
[2001/01/26 18:02]

> Hello all!
Same to you

There is one thing that puzzles me --- I don't think your G3 card is
enabled: what does cat /proc/cpuinfo say?

[snip]
> Since this was the first time that I built the kernel, I followed the
> included instructions:
>
> bash$ cd /usr/src/linux
> bash$ make clean
> bash$ make xconfig (enable CONFIG_MOL)

I'm not quite sure what to understand, did you enable the CONFIG_MOL
option? It should be all by itself under a (that's in my case) button
named ``(null)''

> // this step I skipped, after consulting with on of my instructors -
> we
> // believe it resets the previous xconfig step, but that may be my
> problem
> // make clean

> bash$ make dep
>
> // I had some errors with this. The default LinuxPPC 2000
> installation
> // apparently doesn't come with some libraries necessary for
> compilatoin,
> // so after downloading the the 2.2.15 kernel source from
> // http://www.kernel.org and copying over the /include/asm-m68k
> directory // to /usr/src/linux/include/asm-m68k it compiled
> without errors.

Odd, I did not know you had to have 68k code...

> bash$ make
>
> I then copied the new newly compiled kernel:
>
> bash$ /usr/src/linux/vmlinux
>
> to MacOS and selected it with BootX. I also copied the newly created
> System.map to the /boot directory and restarted the machine.

Erm, did you have both the System.map and vmlinux files in your /boot
folder unpdated in order to be either links to or the actual files
created after your compilation? I am under the impression that you only
copied the System.map file. But then, is it useful to have the vmlinux
file in /boot?

> I then tried to start MOL:
>
> bash$ startmol
>
> No dice. It complained about my machine having a 603 processor and
> that I would not be able to run it without first patching the kernel.

Well, it should not, that is if you enabled the CONFIG_MOL option. Nor
should mol complain about your processor if your G3 card is enabled

--
Frank STENGEL (fstengel@nordnet.fr)
              (fstengel@wanadoo.net.ma)