Re: 603 with Recompiled Kernel still doesn't work

Subject: Re: 603 with Recompiled Kernel still doesn't work
From: Jackson Damien (noveau99@mailandnews.com)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2001 - 12:13:07 MST

At 8:11 PM +0000 1/26/01, Frank STENGEL wrote:
>Jackson Damien a dit dans « 603 with Recompiled Kernel still doesn't
>work ».
>[2001/01/26 18:02]
>
>> Hello all!
>Same to you
>
>There is one thing that puzzles me --- I don't think your G3 card is
>enabled: what does cat /proc/cpuinfo say?

I think you're right, something's not working quite right. The
system is significantly faster however, though this is what it
returned:

processor : 0
cpu : 603ev
clock : 240MHz
revision : 2.1
bogomips : 159.74
zero pages : total 0 (0Kb) current: 0 (0Kb) hits: 0/267 (0%)
machine : Power Macintosh
motherboard : AAPL,e407 MacRISC
memory : 112MB

Have any ideas?

>[snip]
>> Since this was the first time that I built the kernel, I followed the
>> included instructions:
>>
>> bash$ cd /usr/src/linux
>> bash$ make clean
>> bash$ make xconfig (enable CONFIG_MOL)
>
>I'm not quite sure what to understand, did you enable the CONFIG_MOL
>option? It should be all by itself under a (that's in my case) button
>named ``(null)''

I thought of this after I posted the message. I misunderstood the
instructions. I wasn't aware of what exactly I was supposed to do
with xconfig. Also, it seems that xconfig broke after I successfully
recompiled the kernel. I was however able to switch the option with
config.

> > // this step I skipped, after consulting with on of my instructors -
>> we
>> // believe it resets the previous xconfig step, but that may be my
>> problem
>> // make clean
>

>> bash$ make dep
>>
>> // I had some errors with this. The default LinuxPPC 2000
>> installation
>> // apparently doesn't come with some libraries necessary for
>> compilatoin,
>> // so after downloading the the 2.2.15 kernel source from
>> // http://www.kernel.org and copying over the /include/asm-m68k
>> directory // to /usr/src/linux/include/asm-m68k it compiled
>> without errors.
>
>Odd, I did not know you had to have 68k code...

Well, I don't know if you *need* it, but it wouldn't compile without it. :/

> > bash$ make
>>
>> I then copied the new newly compiled kernel:
>>
>> bash$ /usr/src/linux/vmlinux
>>
>> to MacOS and selected it with BootX. I also copied the newly created
>> System.map to the /boot directory and restarted the machine.
>
>Erm, did you have both the System.map and vmlinux files in your /boot
>folder unpdated in order to be either links to or the actual files
>created after your compilation? I am under the impression that you only
>copied the System.map file. But then, is it useful to have the vmlinux
>file in /boot?

I copied only the System.map to the /boot directory. I copied
vmlinux over to my Mac OS partition and selected it with BootX. I
wasn't aware that I had to copy vmlinux to /boot. I could try it I
guess though.

> > I then tried to start MOL:
>>
>> bash$ startmol
>>
>> No dice. It complained about my machine having a 603 processor and
>> that I would not be able to run it without first patching the kernel.
>
>Well, it should not, that is if you enabled the CONFIG_MOL option. Nor
>should mol complain about your processor if your G3 card is enabled

Well, I did recompile with CONFIG_MOL, with mixed results. I am
forced to run startmol as root (I believe the error message has
something to do with an improper kernel module).

I ran startmol again, and was prompted to configure the screen with
some mol screen utility. I then promptly got a few kernel errors and
the machine locked hard:

warning kernel_module version mismatch
/usr/lib/mol/modules/mol.o was compiler for kernel version 2.2.18.pre2-ben1
while this kernel is version 2.2.14.-1.2.0bpmac

warning kernel_module version mismatch
/usr/lib/mol/modules/sheep_net.o was compiler for kernel version
2.2.18.pre2-ben1
while this kernel is version 2.2.14.-1.2.0bpmac

A dmesg | less indeed returned:

Total memory = 112MB; using 512kB for hash table (at c0280000)
Linux version 2.2.14-1.3.0bpmac (root@localhost) (gcc version 2.95.2
19991024 (release/franzo)) #3 Fri Jan 26 14:22:29 EST 2001
Level 2 cache enabled

I checked the source that I downloaded, and it was listed as 2.2.15.
I'm kind of at a loss as to where this is coming from.

Thanks.