Re: 603 with Recompiled Kernel still doesn't work

Subject: Re: 603 with Recompiled Kernel still doesn't work
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 15:54:58 MST

Hi Jackson,

> I have a Umax c600 (a 240 Mhz 603) with a Sonnet 300 Mhz G3 L2 Cache
> Upgrade card and 112 megs of ram.
> After disabling VM in the Mac OS and changing the type of the Sonnect
> Crescendo extension from INIT to SCRI I was able to get a visible
> speedup in LinuxPPC.

I am glad that you have got a speed increase.

> I was then able to successfully mount my Mac OS 8.5 installation CD
> and strip the ROM file from it:

You CANNOT use MacOS 8.5 -- it _very clearly_ says this on the
maconlinux.com webpage. This may be why it does not work.

> bash$ mount -t hfs /dev/cdrom /mnt
> bash$ strip_nwrom "/mnt/System Folder/Mac OS ROM" /usr/lib/mol/rom/rom.nw

You need the 8.6 ROM that can be downloaded from maconlinux.com.

> bash$ patch -d /usr/src/linux -p0 < X

This step only allows MOL to be enabled and does not automatically include
it in the kernel.

> Since this was the first time that I built the kernel, I followed the
> included instructions:
> bash$ cd /usr/src/linux
> bash$ make clean
> bash$ make xconfig (enable CONFIG_MOL)
>
> // this step I skipped, after consulting with on of my instructors - we
> // believe it resets the previous xconfig step, but that may be my problem
> // make clean

You actually have to select the options as noted by another respondant.

> // http://www.kernel.org and copying over the /include/asm-m68k
> directory // to /usr/src/linux/include/asm-m68k it compiled
> without errors.

There is some asm-m68k source/headers needed for ppc machines. There was
a discussion of this with the release of linuxppc 200 last year. A proper
kernel source does not require any copying though...

The first time you make a kernel you have to link two or three directories
together, I forget which. I believe that that should be done
automatically with modern kernels though.

> bash$ make
make vmlinux.

> I then copied the new newly compiled kernel:
> bash$ /usr/src/linux/vmlinux
> to MacOS and selected it with BootX. I also copied the newly created
> System.map to the /boot directory and restarted the machine.

Conventional to also make modules && make modules_install for any modules
selected in your xconfig/menuconfig step

> I then tried to start MOL:
>
> bash$ startmol
>
> No dice. It complained about my machine having a 603 processor and
> that I would not be able to run it without first patching the kernel.

That pretty much means that the kernel you used did not include support
for MOL... This would suggest that you did not enable MOL in the xconfig
step. For me using menuconfig there is an additional main entry entitled
MOL of Mac-on-Linux or so, and that needs to be enabled.

> Still the same error message. I have even tried getting some
> precompiled kernels from this page
> (http://linuxcare.com.au/paulus/kernels.html) without any success.

It seems you were caught in a case of poor use of English - MOL talks
about patching a running kernel, but simply "patching" the kernel source
does not automatically include that "patch" into the compiled kernel --
sorry.

Good luck.

Q.