Re: Locked volume

Subject: Re: Locked volume
From: Brice D Ruth (brice@webprojkt.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 08:12:03 MDT

The netatalk package provides the following daemons: atalkd, afpd, papd
- so, as for your question about atalk vs. netatalk - its the same
thing, netatalk is what the package is actually called. So - atalkd
provides AppleTalk services - allowing a system to be seen in the
chooser, afpd and papd provide the actual file sharing (afpd) and
printer sharing (papd) services. I haven't yet setup netatalk on my
iMac to be seen from MOL, but I'm planning on doing that real soon now.
 From what I can remember from my x86 days, however, is that you'll
basically need to enable the papd daemon to run in a file netatalk.conf
(found somewhere in /etc) and then configure the printer in papd.conf
which should mimic the /etc/printcap file pretty closely. Do a search
for netatalk and papd online and you'll probably find pretty detailed
documentation. Once you think you have things set up on the Linux side,
run nbplkup which will list all the services running via AppleTalk - if
you can see something that resembles your printer, you ought to be in
business - see if you can see it via the Chooser.

As for the display size in MOL - when you run molvconfig, you ought to
enable a variety of resolutions that will be available to your MacOS
session. The MOL session will default to the hint you give it (if its
available) in the /etc/molrc file - the line begins with 'resolution:' -
just put your desired resolution in there and MOL will start at that
resolution the next time (again, only if its available - this line
provides a 'hint' to MOL). Once inside the MacOS, if you check out your
Monitors control panel, you ought to find the video modes MOL makes
available listed - you can switch to any of these on the fly, w/o
restarting MOL.

I'm not sure about the stopped process thing, I'll have to check on that.

-Brice