RE: Locked volume

Subject: RE: Locked volume
From: Quentin Mason (quentin-mason@cornell.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 09:52:20 MDT

Hi,

> > etc... Any way to change that??? Also, when I try to go back from console
> > to X, MOL stops cold... Maybe I am going back wrong... Not a big deal, but
> > curious if there is a way to go back and forth between X and console without
> > stopping processes.

I had problems with screen power management and screensavers being enabled
which would crash X when I switched back, but that was in an older version
of MOL. Switching without crashing should definitely just "work".

> First, you should _not_ have to switch to console to start MoL if you want
> fullscreen - just switch to the appropriate virtual console after MoL
> starts (in its startup output, it will mention exactly which VC its
> fullscreen output is on). As far as the font size inside MoL, that's

Actually this depends on your settings in the /etc/molrc file. They are
well documented in that file. If you ask it to come up in a small window,
then that is what it does, if you set it to come up in a virtual console
(IIRC you get to choose which one) then it should switch you there
automatically, though I believe you can choose that too.

> netatalk vs atalk
> [snip]
> using a prebuilt binary package? If the latter, look in /etc/netatalk
> for papd.conf, otherwise look in /usr/local/etc for it.

I believe that netatalk provides atalkd, the daemon. You could also try
/etc/atalk/. If your machine is alive in the middle of the night then it
will keep a very useful database up to date automatically -- I use "locate
filename" all the time. It is very fast, but not as configurable as
"find".

You can try atalkconf as a GUI configurator, though it is old and does not
seem to be under any development.

HTH,

Q.