Re: Installing MacOSX along with existing Linux Partitions, How?

Subject: Re: Installing MacOSX along with existing Linux Partitions, How?
From: Derrik Pates (dpates@dsdk12.net)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 12:11:55 MDT

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, William K. Gibson wrote:

> I recall somebody saying they had OSX on their drive and were using Yaboot
> to triple boot into linux, OSX, and OS9. I would like to do the same thing,
> but I wonder if I can use some existing partitions to receive OSX so that I
> can still use MOL on my OS9 partition from LinuxPPC.

Yes, you can do this. Samuel actually posted a line you have to add to
your config file, to make it look for the "Mac OS ROM" file specifically,
instead of just searching for the magic creator ID ('tbxi'), as default.

> I have a 12 gig OS9 partition, about 6 gigs of LinuxPPC partitions, and I
> have two back to back ~1.3 gig partitions on my 20 gig disk that are simply
> blank. They are linux partitions I use for some testing purposes. Ideally, I
> would like to merge those two partitions into one partition that will
> contain OSX.

Just delete the existing partitions then - OS X doesn't understand ext2 at
all, it needs either a UFS or HFS+ filesystem. Then create a new partition
for OS X.

> -Must I in fact put OSX on another partition to use MOL? I.e. could I put
> OSX on my OS9 partition and still use MOL somehow (I'm thinking not).

No.

> -Can I reformat the blank partitions for OSX without initializing my entire
> disk? Drive Setup won't seem to do it. Perhaps I can use fdisk/pdisk?

Use 'fdisk-mac' on the Linux side to delete the partitions and create a
new one. If you create an Apple_HFS partition, you will have to boot to OS
9, and use Drive Setup to set the automount flag on the partition (the
fdisk-mac utility clears it by default). You may have to boot from CD to
do it, but select the drive in the Drive Setup window, then do Functions
-> Volume Settings, then click on the partition in the list, and check the
"Automount on startup" box.

> -How do I set up Yaboot to triple boot LinuxPPC, OSX, and OS9?

'man yaboot.conf' is your friend. It covers all the options that you need
to pass to get MacOS and MacOS X as boot options (you will need the
'brokenosx' option to boot OS X correctly).

Derrik Pates | Sysadmin, Douglas School | #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net | District (dsdk12.net) | #linuxOS on OPN